Donnerstag, 4. September 2014

A wet day but with a moment of illumination

Dear readers, today I was reminded that it is actually rainy season here. Below there is a picture to prove it - I look a right fool, and far from the professional self I try to be in interviews. I shudder to think what the second interviewee of the day must have thought when he saw a bedraggled white guy and a Cambodian faring no better approaching his house, both of whose shoes were caked in mud and looked like they had been pushed into the Mekong.Yes, it is a very stylish plastic rain cape, thank you very much!

  
 Anyway, said interviewee number 2 of the day was the first interviewee yet (I know this is sad given my project, but it is the unfortunate truth!) who admitted killing anyone during the interview - not surprising as this is someone who has widely told his story and in this context already told the world of his transgressions - normally I try to find interview partners who are as 'unblemished' as possible by previous interviews, but as were in the area, we thought we would have a chat. What he had to say itself was extremely boring ('I was following orders, as was everyone else') and we have had more interesting chats with other people. But it was good to see at least one person admit to killing someone.

The weather-driven fun continued after this and suddenly it was dark in Kandal Province and we were in the middle of our last interview of the day - faced with the choice between 25 km to the Vietnamese border (and the nearest guesthouse) or 50km back to Phnom Penh we elected the second. My first night-time ride outside the city - and that with pouring rain. Not to be recommended! 

I end the day feeling tired but satisfied - the rain is helping the rice farmers (good for Cambodia!) and giving my friends and supporters a picture to amuse themselves with of me. I got my first 'confession' (please let it be the first of many!). And I treated myself to some take-away Mexican food (yum!). Good night!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen